The Click Fraud Malware: How MIUREF Turns Users into Cybercriminal Accomplices
Click fraud is but one of the cybercriminal’s more insidious ways of earning ill-gotten revenue. But what is it, really? And how does MIUREF, a malware family that recently rose in infection counts during early January 2014 inflict it upon users? Read on to find out all the answers, and how users can prevent themselves from becoming an accessory to this roguish cybercriminal scheme.
- As an attachment in spam mails (sample below):
- As a file downloaded voluntarily downloaded from the internet(disguised as a an application cracker)
- A file downloaded by other malware
- As a file downloaded through Java vulnerability exploits.
- Information theft
- Identity theft/fraud
- Privacy loss due to browser activity tracking
- Compromise of system security