This Hacking Tool arrives on a system as a file dropped by other malware or as a file downloaded unknowingly by users when visiting malicious sites.
This Hacking Tool does the following:
- It is used to perform reconnaissance on machines in a local network via SMB.
- It can identify the following information from a remote machine:
- Administrative Rights
- OS Information
- System Time
It accepts the following parameters:
- -S (hostname) = perform operation on the provided host name
- -L (hosts file) = perform operation on each host address listed in the specified file
- -I = detect OS information of a remote user
- -C = check if user has admin rights, must be used in combination with the following (-U, -D and -p/-P):
- -U (username) = user name of target machine
- -D (domain) = domain name of target machine
- -p (password) = password of target machine
- -P (NTLM) = password hash of target machine
- -U = verbose output
- -? = display options
Before doing any scans, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 users must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of their computers.
Identify and terminate files detected as HackTool.Win32.SMBTool.AB
[ Learn More ]
- Windows Task Manager may not display all running processes. In this case, please use a third-party process viewer, preferably Process Explorer, to terminate the malware/grayware/spyware file. You may download the said tool here.
- If the detected file is displayed in either Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer but you cannot delete it, restart your computer in safe mode. To do this, refer to this link for the complete steps.
- If the detected file is not displayed in either Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer, continue doing the next steps.
Did this description help? Tell us how we did.
Scan your computer with your Trend Micro product to delete files detected as HackTool.Win32.SMBTool.AB. If the detected files have already been cleaned, deleted, or quarantined by your Trend Micro product, no further step is required. You may opt to simply delete the quarantined files. Please check the following Trend Micro Support pages for more information: