This malicious cryptocurrency miner is dropped by exploiting two vulnerabilities in Elasticsearch.
This Coinminer arrives on a system as a file dropped by other malware or as a file downloaded unknowingly by users when visiting malicious sites. It may be downloaded by other malware/grayware from remote sites.
This Coinminer arrives on a system as a file dropped by other malware or as a file downloaded unknowingly by users when visiting malicious sites.
It may be downloaded by the following malware/grayware from remote sites:
This Coinminer does the following:
- It uses the system's central processing unit(CPU) resources to mine for cryptocurrency. This behavior makes the system run abnormally slow.
- It accepts the following parameters:
- -a, --algo=ALGO specify the algorithm to use (cryptonight, cryptonight-lite, cryptonight-heavy)
- -o, --url=URL URL of mining server
- -O, --userpass=U:P username:password pair for mining server
- -u, --user=USERNAME username for mining server
- -p, --pass=PASSWORD password for mining server
- --rig-id=ID rig identifier for pool-side statistics (needs pool support)
- -t, --threads=N number of miner threads
- -v, --av=N algorithm variation, 0 auto select
- -k, --keepalive send keepalived packet for prevent timeout (needs pool support)
- --nicehash enable nicehash.com support
- --tls enable SSL/TLS support (needs pool support)
- --tls-fingerprint=F pool TLS certificate fingerprint, if set enable strict certificate pinning
- -r, --retries=N number of times to retry before switch to backup server (default: 5)
- -R, --retry-pause=N time to pause between retries (default: 5)
- --cpu-affinity set process affinity to CPU core(s), mask 0x3 for cores 0 and 1
- --cpu-priority set process priority (0 idle, 2 normal to 5 highest)
- --no-huge-pages disable huge pages support
- --no-color disable colored output
- --variant algorithm PoW variant
- --donate-level=N donate level, default 5% (5 minutes in 100 minutes)
- --user-agent set custom user-agent string for pool
- -B, --background run the miner in the background
- -c, --config=FILE load a JSON-format configuration file
- -l, --log-file=FILE log all output to a file
- -S, --syslog use system log for output messages
- --max-cpu-usage=N maximum CPU usage for automatic threads mode (default 75)
- --safe safe adjust threads and av settings for current CPU
- --asm=ASM ASM code for cn/2, possible values: auto, none, intel, ryzen.
- --print-time=N print hashrate report every N seconds
- --api-port=N port for the miner API
- --api-access-token=T access token for API
- --api-worker-id=ID custom worker-id for API
- --api-id=ID custom instance ID for API
- --api-ipv6 enable IPv6 support for API
- --api-no-restricted enable full remote access (only if API token set)
- --dry-run test configuration and exit
- -h, --help display this help and exit
- -V, --version output version information and exit
- Or a configuration file in config.json found in the same directory
Scan your computer with your Trend Micro product to delete files detected as Coinminer.Linux.MALXMR.UWEIS. If the detected files have already been cleaned, deleted, or quarantined by your Trend Micro product, no further step is required. You may opt to simply delete the quarantined files. Please check the following Trend Micro Support pages for more information:
Did this description help? Tell us how we did.