Conclusion and recommendations
Based on these results, Trend Micro's incident response team presented immediate countermeasures as well as medium- and long-term security procedures for implementation.
Because the organization’s SOC team quickly applied the recommended measures, the organization did not encounter system or operational disruptions.
We recommend that organizations implement the following security measures to protect them against similar attacks:
- Define "normal" network traffic for normal operations. Defining “normal” network traffic will help identify “abnormal” network traffic, such as unauthorized access.
- Ensure that behavior and communication logs are in a safe location. Logs are an integral part of an investigation that can help determine the root cause of an incident. Not having logs available could affect the initial speed in which incident response is carried out.
- Conduct incident response drills and training sessions. Run your team through the process so that members can better understand your policies and gain confidence in the entire incident response process. These training sessions can help them react quickly in real-life incident response situations.
Attackers, in recent years, have become increasingly adept at exploiting vulnerabilities that victims themselves are unaware of and are employing behaviors that are not anticipated. In addition to a continuous effort to prevent any unauthorized access, early detection and response within the organization’s network is critical. Immediacy in remediation is also essential, as delays in reaction time might lead to serious damage.
By understanding attack scenarios in detail (as we have done here), organizations can not only identify vulnerabilities that could lead to compromise and critical damage but can also take necessary measures to prevent them.
With contributions by: Japan Incident Response Team, Japan Marketing Strategy
Like it? Add this infographic to your site:
1. Click on the box below. 2. Press Ctrl+A to select all. 3. Press Ctrl+C to copy. 4. Paste the code into your page (Ctrl+V).
Image will appear the same size as you see above.
- LockBit, BlackCat, and Clop Prevail as Top RAAS Groups: Ransomware in 1H 2023
- Stepping Ahead of Risk: Report Trend Micro sulle minacce di cybersecurity del primo semestre 2023
- Diving Deep Into Quantum Computing: Modern Cryptography
- Uncovering Silent Threats in Azure Machine Learning Service: Part 2
- The Linux Threat Landscape Report