Key Learning Objectives
- Understand what personal information online means and its permanency
- Learn 4 ways to practice strong privacy skills
Just 4 steps to complete the episode!
- 1.Watch the short 3-minute animated video with the children. Play it a few times!
- 2.Discuss the video with the children using our conversation guide to help you.
- 3.Ask each child to complete the Kahoot! Quiz below.
- 4.Print the Activity Sheet below as homework for the children.
How to Protect your Privacy Online?
Useful questions and answers to help you guide the conversation with kids
What are your favorite apps and games?
How much does it usually cost to download apps and games?
Quite often its free to download many apps and games. But there is no such thing as free. What’s the real cost? What do you have to give away once you download the app?
- Your personal information. Things like your name, password, date of birth, location, home address, photos, videos, email address, everything you do within the app/game. (likes/comments/things you say to others/ who your friends are).
- Plus don’t forget in app-purchases.
- All of that information tells a story about who you are; it’s your private and personal information.
When you share or post something online – how long does it stay on the internet for?
What if you delete it?
Even when you delete a photo, video or comment, there is a digital footprint of everything you say and do online. The owner of the app has many copies of everything you do so it’s important to be careful about what you do and say online. Be positive and kind to others always.
What four privacy skills will protect your personal information from getting into the wrong hands?
- Stick to apps that are safe (reviews and ratings – do some research)
- Think before you share or say anything online. Never feel pressured to give away personal information to anyone – friends or strangers. Always talk to a grown up if you are worried.
- Use Privacy settings on every app. (That way only people you know can see what you do.)
- Respect other peoples’ privacy. Never share a photo or video of someone if you don’t have their permission. Ask them first. They will ask you too. It’s a respect thing.
Take the Kahoot! Quiz
Homework Activity Sheet
Did you like the Privacy episode?
We would love your feedback! Our goal is to deliver the Cyber Academy program to as many children around the world as possible. If you have completed this episode with children at home or in school, then you are helping us reach our global goal!
Welcome to Trend Micro’s Internet Safety Series for Kids
Each Cyber Academy episode takes just 10-15 minutes to complete.
It is available for free, on demand for children age 7-10.
Start an episode today!
Each episode consists of:
- A short three-minute animated video
- A conversation guide to support teachers/parents (Q&A for kids)
- A Kahoot! Quiz to reinforce the learning
- A downloadable activity sheet to be used as homework
- Safety Settings
- Camera Safety
- Screen Time and Self Care
- Kindness Online
- Fake News