Key Learning Objectives
- Understand what a password is and why they are important
- Learn 3 skills to keep your passwords safe and secure
Just 4 steps to complete the episode!
- 1.Watch the short 3-minute animated video with the children. Play it a few times!
- 2.Discuss the video with the children using our conversation guide to help you.
- 3.Ask each child to complete the Kahoot! Quiz below.
- 4.Print the Activity Sheet below as homework for the children.
How to Create Strong Passwords
Useful questions and answers to help you guide the conversation with kids
What is a password?
Why do we need to have strong passwords?
It stops other people getting into your accounts online, accessing your personal information, and other stuff that you have in there.
Is it a good idea to put your personal information into your password, like your name, age, favorite sports person?
No, it’s not a good idea, because that information is easy for others (even your friends) to guess.
What does a strong password look like?
- It can be a word, a phrase, or a sentence.
- It’s long and has capital letters, small letters, numbers, and special characters like !@#$% and so on.
- They’re easy for you to remember but not easy for others to guess!
Examples of a strong password
|Weak Passwords||Strong Passwords|
Where can you store your passwords in case you forget them?
- Many devices have ‘autofill passwords’ – it asks if you would like for your password to be stored for the next time you need to log on.
- Tell a guardian or parent who can keep them safe for you. (This is also useful in case you forget)
- You could use a Password Manager; to set this up, you would need a grown up to help you. This is useful if you have many passwords. A Password Manager stores and manages your passwords for you.
- Write them down and put them in a safe place in your home.
What could happen if you share your passwords with other people, perhaps your friends?
They could pretend to be you, use your account, change your profile, change your privacy settings, and perhaps share/post or comment online. This then looks as if you did those things.
That would be very upsetting for you, it could hurt other people, it could be dangerous, and you might get into a lot of trouble. Perhaps some children can share examples of this from their experience.
What are three strong password skills?
- Use different passwords on every app and game that you use.
- Don’t share them. (It’s okay to share your passwords with parents/guardians.)
- Change them often.
Take the Kahoot! Quiz
Homework Activity Sheet
This is a great homework activity for children to test their skills one more time, reinforcing what they have learned.
Did you like the Passwords episode?
We would love your feedback! Our goal is to deliver the Cyber Academy program to as many children around the world as possible. If you have completed this episode with children at home or in school, then you are helping us reach our global goal!
The Internet Safety Series for Kids age 7-10
2 NEW EPISODES and more episodes coming soon
Start an episode today!
Each episode consists of:
- A short three-minute animated video
- A conversation guide to support teachers/parents (It’s basically a Q&A for kids)
- A Kahoot! Quiz to reinforce the learning
- A popular and fun activity sheet; a great homework activity to engage all the family at home.
Understand what a password is, why it’s important and learn 3 password skills to keep you safe and secure.
Understand Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) and how it can protect your accounts online.
Understand what privacy online really means and learn 4 privacy skills to protect you and your information online.
Learn why and how to keep your information secure online; plus 6 ways to practice strong security skills.
Understand why it is important to have healthy habits when using the internet and learn 7 healthy habits.
Understand what information is gathered when a photo is taken and shared plus learn 5 camera safety skills.
Understand what quality time online really means and learn 4 skills to make the most of your time online.
Understand the true meaning of kindness, why it’s important and learn important skills to deal with unkindness online.
Understand the importance of safety settings and learn how to set up 5 safety setting features.
Understand what misinformation is, why it exists and learn 5 important skills to help you spot it.