- January 04, 2021This article aims to discuss the Linux threat landscape and examine how Linux has become an attractive target for attackers, as well as how it can be prone to a variety of threats and risks.
- July 26, 2019Threat actors are targeting Linux servers with vulnerable software, namely the project management tool Jira and the message transfer agent Exim, using a variant of the Watchbog trojan, which drops a Monero miner to expand their botnet.
- July 11, 2019A newly uncovered ransomware family was found targeting QNAP network-attached storage (NAS) devices. Named eCh0raix, the malware was reportedly designed for targeted ransomware attacks.
- May 31, 2019Security researchers uncovered a new malware targeting Linux systems: HiddenWasp. Learn its backdoor and rootkit capabilities — and how users and organizations can defend against this threat.
- April 18, 2019A ransomware family was recently spotted targeting vulnerable Samba servers: NamPoHyu Virus aka MegaLocker Virus. NamPoHyu Virus searches for publicly accessible Samba servers, brute-forces them, and runs the ransomware locally to encrypt the exposed servers.
- November 08, 2018We recently encountered a cryptocurrency-mining malware affecting Linux systems. It is notable for being bundled with a rootkit component that hides the malicious process’ presence from monitoring tools.
- June 15, 2017A South Korean web hosting company was hit by a Linux version of the Erebus ransomware. Here’s what you need to know about the threat and what sysadmins can do to defend against it.
- September 13, 2016A rundown of the latest wave of threats targeting Linux systems.
- April 11, 2016Mumblehard, a botnet that targets servers running Linux has been shut down a year after it was first discovered.