The EU Data Protection Law: What Your Company Can Do to Ensure a Smooth Transition
The proposed EU data protection reform has reached a new and significant milestone. However, the changes could be quite alarming for some organizations with established practices that differ from the the new rules. Some rules will include the “right to be forgotten,” which was reinforced by a positive ruling in the second quarter of 2014 that allows users to request search engines to remove search results related to them. In addition, data controllers will be required to perform a balancing act against any competing rights to freedom of expression. In line with new EU data protection regulation that is set to be implemented this year, we’ve rounded up a set of guidelines to get your organization ready:
- Health check – assess and understand your company’s position. This understanding of your company’s current policies and data management will help determine if you're compliant or need to change anything before the new regulation is fully implemented.
- Transparency and accountability – Consider the following in your data-handling process:
- What do you do with user data?
- Who has access to the data?
- Is the data shared or kept within the sole confidentiality of the company?
- Validate and update all documents – make sure that all documents are ready for audit and that standard and policies are periodically reviewed.
- The right technology – ensure that your data privacy and compliance strategy is supported by your systems and infrastructure.
- Education is key – train and educate your people on the rules of the regulations, both new and existing, including best practices for ensuring information and data security.
Like it? Add this infographic to your site:
1. Click on the box below. 2. Press Ctrl+A to select all. 3. Press Ctrl+C to copy. 4. Paste the code into your page (Ctrl+V).
Image will appear the same size as you see above.
- Exposed Container Registries: A Potential Vector for Supply-Chain Attacks
- LockBit, BlackCat, and Clop Prevail as Top RAAS Groups: Ransomware in 1H 2023
- Diving Deep Into Quantum Computing: Modern Cryptography
- Uncovering Silent Threats in Azure Machine Learning Service: Part 2
- The Linux Threat Landscape Report