Ransomware: A type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system, either by locking the system's screen or by locking the users' files unless a ransom is paid. Read more
- October 05, 2023This report spotlights Akira, a novel ransomware family with highly experienced and skilled operators at its helm.
- September 21, 2023We delve into three of the most active ransomware families that dominated the first half of 2023: LockBit, Clop, and BlackCat. This report features data from ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) and extortion groups’ leak sites, Trend Micro’s open-source intelligence (OSINT) research, and the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™, collected from Jan. 1 to June 30, 2023.
- August 08, 2023In this year’s Midyear Roundup, we look at the major events in the first half of 2023 and draw a picture of the threat landscape from behaviors and patterns observed in the threat landscape to stay ahead and prepare for risks in the second half of the year.
- March 15, 2023Backed by threat actors from Conti, Royal ransomware is poised to wreak havoc in the threat landscape, starting strong by taking a spot among the most prolific ransomware groups within three months since it was first reported. Combining new and old techniques and quick evolution, it is likely to remain a big player in the threat landscape in the future.
- March 07, 2023Our annual cybersecurity report sheds light on the major security concerns that surfaced and prevailed in 2022.
- February 23, 2023Our research paper shows how decision-makers that are in a position to affect ransomware at scale – including policy-makers and industry leaders – can use data-science approaches to understand ransomware risk holistically and build cybersecurity strategies that can affect the ransomware ecosystem as a whole.
- February 21, 2023We discuss the essential features of the ransomware threat landscape in the fourth quarter of 2022. Our data reveals a key pattern throughout 2022: Established ransomware groups preferred to target small and midsize organizations in North America and Europe.
- January 26, 2023The Magniber ransomware initially targeted only Asian countries when it was first detected in 2017. However, it resurfaced in 2021 and continues to operate today with expanded targets around the globe. Magniber remains a significant player in the threat landscape, with malicious attackers likely to continue using the ransomware in future.
- December 15, 2022Our research looks at the potential evolutions and revolutions in the current ransomware landscape based on significant triggers and catalysts. We highlight the specific developments (triggers) that could cause gradual changes (evolutions) before sparking more drastic transformations (revolutions).