Loki Delivered as CAB File Attachment
Analysis and insights by Miguel Ang
We found in our honeypot a spam sample that delivers the info stealer Loki through an attached Windows Cabinet (CAB) file. The email that bears the malicious file poses as a quotation request to trick the user into executing the binary file inside the CAB file.
CAB is a compressed archive file format usually associated with various drivers, system files, and other Windows components installations.
The email has the header “REQUESTING QUOTATION,” seemingly coming from a client who is interested in availing the products and/or services offered by the receiver. The attachment supposedly contains the quotation request.
Figure 1. Sample email for Loki campaign
The CAB file attachment carries a binary file, which is a .NET compiled dropper that eventually executes Loki. The .NET dropper makes use of several layers of encrypted .NET modules that are then invoked.
This will eventually lead to the execution of the Loki binary via process hollowing. Process hollowing is a malware technique that involves loading legitimate processes on the system and having it serve as a container for malicious code, thus remaining undetected. The technique was recently used by Monero Miner to evade detection.
Figure 3. Loki binary executed via process hollowing
Protection against info stealers and other malicious attachments
- Never download attachments or click links on emails from unfamiliar senders. This may lead to the installation of malware.
- Be careful with sharing email addresses. Don’t share contact details on public web forums, social media, and other channels.
- Be informed of the latest spam campaigns. Knowing the topics and contents of malicious emails can help avoid even those that use the most convincing social engineering techniques.
Trend Micro™ Deep Discovery™ Email Inspector – Employs machine learning, detection engines, password extraction, and custom sandbox analysis to detect advanced malware.
Trend Micro™ Email Security – Offers email sender analysis and authentication, as well as protection against unknown malware, URL, and AI-based fraud.
Trend Micro™ Cloud App Security – Provides advanced threat and data protection for Microsoft Office 365, Google G Suite, and cloud file-sharing services
Indicators of Compromise
|File Name||SHA-256||Trend Micro
|Trend Micro Predictive
Like it? Add this infographic to your site:
1. Click on the box below. 2. Press Ctrl+A to select all. 3. Press Ctrl+C to copy. 4. Paste the code into your page (Ctrl+V).
Image will appear the same size as you see above.
- Ransomware Spotlight: Trigona
- Steering Clear of Security Blind Spots: What SOCs Need to Know
- Understanding the Kubernetes Security Triad: Image Scanning, Admission Controllers, and Runtime Security
- Preempting Threats to Connected Cars: The Importance of Cybersecurity in a Data-Driven Automotive Ecosystem
- Your Stolen Data for Sale