Digital Extortion in Action: See How Ransomware Works
Ever wanted to see how an actual infection of one of today’s most notorious malware looks like? Here's a video that shows the ransomware in action, specifically CTB-Locker. This particular ransomware variant encrypts important files and documents on the system it infects and holds them for a hefty ransom, in this case, 2 BTC (around US$500 at the time of the recording).
Ransomware is something all users should take seriously whether you’re at home or at the office, as it can render your most important files unusable. And those who fall into its trap should never, ever consider paying, as you’re only giving them (the ransomware creators) more reason to do this. Instead, ensure that a security solution is always in place in whatever system you use, don’t click on suspicious links or attachments in email, and always back up your files using the 3-2-1 rule:
- Three different copies,
- In Two different formats,
- With One of the copies off-site (i.e. anywhere else but your office or home).
Trend Micro also has a Free Ransomware Removal Tool that can be used to resolve a ransomware infection on Windows (32-bit and 64-bit versions). The Trend Micro AntiRansomware Tool 3.0 with USB can be used to resolve ransomware infections on locked systems.
Like it? Add this infographic to your site:
1. Click on the box below. 2. Press Ctrl+A to select all. 3. Press Ctrl+C to copy. 4. Paste the code into your page (Ctrl+V).
Image will appear the same size as you see above.
- Exposed Container Registries: A Potential Vector for Supply-Chain Attacks
- LockBit, BlackCat, and Clop Prevail as Top RAAS Groups: Ransomware in 1H 2023
- Diving Deep Into Quantum Computing: Modern Cryptography
- Uncovering Silent Threats in Azure Machine Learning Service: Part 2
- The Linux Threat Landscape Report