The events of 2020 have confirmed what most technology leaders across the country already know: cloud computing is the key to driving business agility and unlocking value. But as investments in this space grow, so does the corporate attack surface—threatening to undo those benefits and put organizations at serious risk of data theft, ransomware and other threats. This is why cloud-based network security is a key layer of protection.
However, the cloud providers themselves don’t cover everything, and among third-party security offerings, not all solutions are created equal. This is where Trend Micro Cloud One – Network Security comes in.
Why network security?
As the demand for digital transformation continues to grow, an even greater portion of organizations’ IT infrastructure becomes cloud native. They’re investing not just in one provider either but several: one report claims that 93% of enterprises today have a multi-cloud strategy. Unfortunately, where there are mission critical systems and data, cyber-criminals won’t be far behind.
“We foresee more attackers following data to the cloud. The more corporate data resides in the cloud, the more malicious actors get interested,” we said in our 2020 predictions report.
Network security is a vital component in helping organizations to meet their compliance obligations and minimize cyber-risk in the cloud. Why? Because thanks to the success of phishing attacks, brute force techniques and the huge number of breached credentials available on the dark web, attackers find it increasingly easy to sidestep perimeter defenses. This makes it more important than ever that you have visibility into east-west traffic, in order to detect lateral movement and stop malicious activity in its tracks.
This isn’t something usually provided in generic cloud security: an extra network layer must be therefore be added to achieve this enhanced level of security.
What do I need?
So you’ve already decided to invest in cloud-layer network security. Now, what features should you look out for? Here is some of the key functionality in Trend Micro Cloud One – Network Security that we would recommend:
- End-to-end data encryption is vital to protect data in transit or at rest. According to the AWS Shared Responsibility Model, this is something that definitely falls within the customer’s purview, and will continue to for the foreseeable future
- SSL decryption is another important component. Yes, you want to encrypt your own traffic to protect it from eavesdroppers. But you also need to unmask any traffic flowing through cloud networks in order to inspect and scan it for malware, and for data loss prevention/compliance reasons
- Vulnerability protection should be near the top of any priority list for network security in the cloud, given the growing rate at which flaws are being found and exploited. With Trend Micro Research and the Zero Day Initiative, customers get protection potentially weeks or months before vendor patches are available thanks to;
- Network-based virtual patching, which deploy intrusion prevention system (IPS) security at the network layer to provide comprehensive protection from known and unknown threats. It offers a major advantage for organizations looking to secure their Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs)
- Isolation between multiple zones using next-generation firewall (NGFW) capabilities can help to prevent lateral movement by attackers and the spread of ransomware, as well as support Zero Trust models.
Quick and easy
As multi- and hybrid-cloud adoption increases, so does IT complexity. The last thing you need in your network security architecture is yet more of it. Organizations instead need solutions that are quick and easy to deploy, simple to manage and offer flexibility through close integration with cloud providers’ native services.
Trend Micro Cloud One – Network Security offers it all. Specifically, the solution:
- Is simple to deploy, in just five minutes
- Has no need for complex cloud formation, network re-architecture, or re-IPing
- Offers comprehensive network layer protection with no disruption to applications
- Is easily adaptable to suit your specific network requirements, through integrations with services on AWS
With this solution, we’ve leveraged both our expertise in network security with TippingPoint and Trend Micro’s pioneering cloud security capabilities. The result is powerful network layer security for the hybrid cloud to minimize cyber-risk and accelerate time-to-value for digital transformation.
To find out more about Cloud One – Network Security and other product offerings visit https://www.trendmicro.com/cloudone