- January 24, 2018A recent campaign was found using social engineering methods to take advantage of the increasing hype and visibility of cryptocurrencies via a fictional cryptocurrency called SpriteCoin, which is used as a ransomware lure for unsuspecting users.
- January 19, 2018A new Satori variant was found hacking into Claymore mining rigs and changing configurations to mine Ethereum cryptocurrency.
- January 15, 2018In a recent incident, attackers targeted the Stellar Lumen (XLM) cryptocurrency by compromising the DNS server for BlackWallet.co, a web-based wallet application for XLM.
- January 10, 2018As Ethereum currently sells for over $1,200 per coin, a new ransomware variant that appears to be the first to accept the currency as ransom payment surfaces.
- January 09, 2018Security researchers discovered an installer for a Monero miner intended to transmit the cryptocurrency to Kim Il Sung University (KSU), North Korea. Meanwhile, a Reddit user found a Monero miner in the BlackBerry mobile site.
- December 22, 2017Trend Micro observed a recent spate of attacks designed to deliver a webminer for the Electroneum (ETN) cryptocurrency.
- December 15, 2017Cybercriminals are hoping to capitalize on the surging value of cryptocurrency. They are experimenting with new ways to hijack users' devices, hoping to gather enough to make a profit from mining.
- November 15, 2017A new report reveals Coinhive's reach after it ranked the coin miner as the 6th most common malware in the world.
- July 05, 2017As cryptocurrencies like bitcoin are more widely used, so will the threats that cybercriminals use to abuse it. Here’s a closer look at cryptocurrency-mining malware—their emergence in the threat landscape, impact, and some countermeasures against them.