For over two decades, Camelot Group has been making dreams come true as steward of the UK’s National Lottery. The Watford-headquartered company has grown to over 700 employees and generates billions of pounds in revenue each year, although much of this goes to good causes, as well as national treasury, the Exchequer.
In early 2017, Camelot Head of Information Security, David Boda, and his team reviewed the firm’s endpoint protection capabilities, shortlisting Trend Micro after carrying out in-depth due diligence in the market. Being shortlisted was no mean feat: Boda and his team conducted exhaustive market research, rating solutions by as many as 40 different criteria. As the operator of the UK’s National Lottery, the firm represents a major target to online attackers, so he was keen to source the latest functionality from mounting endpoint threats, including ransomware, data theft, phishing and more.
It was also crucial to invest in a trusted cybersecurity expert with strong cross-platform support, offering best-in-class capabilities across multiple layers of IT infrastructure. With previous experience with Trend Micro™ TippingPoint™ products, Boda already knew “the engineering was really good”, causing him to line Trend Micro up for a proof-of-concept trial.
"Because we run such a wide technology stack, it’s been great that Trend Micro works across all our different platforms."
Head of Information Security
The results were outstanding and Camelot chose Trend Micro™ Smart Protection™ for Endpoints for comprehensive, cloud-based endpoint protection, complementing its previous investment in Trend Micro™ Deep Security™ data centre platform for on-premise and cloud environments.
Trend Micro™ Worry-Free™ Services is part of the Smart Protection for Endpoint platform. It’s powered by XGen™ security, offering a blend of cross-generational threat prevention techniques optimised so the right tool is always used at the right time. This includes everything from web and file reputation to app control, behavioural analysis and pre-execution and runtime machine learning.
Smart Protection for Endpoints offers:
- 100 percent SaaS (software as a service), which means it’s simple to deploy, with zero maintenance and 24/7 support
- Lightweight and optimised security uses the right detection technique at the right time to ensure minimal impact on devices and networks
- Comprehensive security capabilities on Microsoft® Windows®, iOS, Android™ and Mac® devices
- Global intelligence from industry-leading cloud-based Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ infrastructure
Deep Security is Trend Micro’s flagship offering for protecting server workloads, providing:
- Optimised security across leading cloud environments like AWS®, Azure®, VMware® — including protection for containers
- Comprehensive protection including IPS, host firewall, virtual patching, anti-malware, app control, integrity monitoring and more
- Centralised management and control across on-premise and hybrid cloud deployments
- Accelerated compliance with GDPR, PCI DSS, and more
- Reduced risk by automatically enforcing policies depending on context
Camelot Group’s increasing investment in Trend Micro products across its IT infrastructure illustrates a partnership based on trust and exceptional performance. Trend Micro’s technical team worked hand-in-hand with Camelot from the initial investigation phase to align with both business and technical needs. That engagement had grown even closer over time to include discussions over product feature roadmaps and rapid response to any ongoing support queries.
“Because we run such a wide technology stack, it’s been great that Trend Micro works across all our different platforms,” says Boda. “When we buy technology, we’re only partly buying the tech itself. The real investment is in outsourcing the engineering function behind it, so knowing it works well and is protecting us against the mounting cyber threats out there is vital.”
The relationship has even expanded beyond product into other areas. Trend Micro accepted an invitation recently to speak at Camelot HQ on how employees can create a more secure online environment at home for their families. It’s a great idea and one we’re delighted to get behind as part of our push to raise awareness about internet safety for kids and families.