Editing the Registry
This malware modifies the system's registry. Users affected by this malware may need to modify or delete specific registry keys or entries. For detailed information regarding registry editing, please refer to the following articles from Microsoft:
- HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME
- HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows NT 4.0
Restoring Modified Registry Entries
If the registry entry below is not found, the malware may not have executed as of detection. If so, proceed to the succeeding solution set.
- Open Registry Editor. Click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- In the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate and delete the entry :
No Desktop = 1
- Close Registry Editor.
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
Systems infected with this malware can be cleaned by simply scanning for and cleaning files detected as
PE_DAMMIT.1537. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest pattern file and scan their system. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, Trend Micro's online virus scanner.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.