Identifying the Malware Program
Before proceeding to remove this malware, first identify the malware program.
Scan your system with Trend Micro antivirus and NOTE all files detected as WORM_MMS.A. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest pattern file and scan their system. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, Trend Micro's free online virus scanner.
Terminating the Malware Program
This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory.
- Open Windows Task Manager.
On Windows 9x/ME systems, press
On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
CTRL%20SHIFT%20ESC, and click the Processes tab.
- In the list of running programs*, locate the process:
- Select the malware process, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
- To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
- Close Task Manager.
*NOTE: On systems running Windows 9x/ME, Windows Task Manager may not show certain processes. You may use a third party process viewer to terminate the malware process. Otherwise, continue with the next procedure, noting additional instructions.
Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry
Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from executing during startup.
- Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- In the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate and delete the entry or entries:
- Close Registry Editor
NOTE: If you were not able to terminate the malware process from memory as described in the previous procedure, restart your system.
Additional Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
Scan your system with Trend Micro antivirus and delete all files detected as WORM_MMS.A. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest pattern file and scan their system. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, Trend Micro�s free online virus scanner.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.