Minimum scan engine version needed: 8.900
Pattern file needed: 7.411.00
Pattern release date: Aug 26, 2010
Important note: The "Minimum scan engine" refers to the earliest Trend Micro scan engine version guaranteed to detect this threat. However, Trend Micro strongly recommends that you update to the latest version in order to get comprehensive protection. Download the latest scan engine here.
For Windows ME and XP users, before doing any scans, please make sure you disable System Restore to allow full scanning of your computer.
Step 1: Identify and terminate files detected as TROJ_VB.JNU [learn how]
- For Windows 98 and ME users, Windows Task Manager may not display all running processes. In this case, please use a third-party process viewer, preferably Process Explorer, to terminate the malware/grayware/spyware file. You may download the said tool here.
- If the detected file is displayed in either Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer but you cannot delete it, restart your computer in safe mode. To do this, refer to this link for the complete steps.
- If the detected file is not displayed in either Windows Task Manager or Process Explorer, continue doing the next steps.
Delete this registry value [learn how]
Important: Editing the Windows Registry incorrectly can lead to irreversible system malfunction. Please do this step only if you know how or you can ask assistance from your system administrator. Else, check this Microsoft article first before modifying your computer's registry.
- In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\
- Avira = "C:\hyd\Tools\explorer.exe"
- NOD32 = "C:\hyd\Tools\mdm.exe"
Step 3: Scan your computer with your Trend Micro product to delete files detected as TROJ_VB.JNU
If the detected files have already been cleaned, deleted, or quarantined by your Trend Micro product, no further step is required. You may opt to simply delete the quarantined files. Please check this Knowledge Base page for more information.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.