Identifying the Malware Program
To remove this malware, first identify the malware program.
- Scan your computer with your Trend Micro antivirus product.
- NOTE the path and file name of all files detected as TROJ_STRAT.EL.
Trend Micro customers need to download the latest virus pattern file before scanning their computer. Other users can use Housecall, the Trend Micro online virus scanner.
Restarting in Safe Mode
This malware has characteristics that require the computer to be restarted in safe mode. Go to this page for instructions on how to restart your computer in safe mode.
Editing the Registry
This malware modifies the computer's registry. Users affected by this malware may need to modify or delete specific registry keys or entries. For detailed information regarding registry editing, please refer to the following articles from Microsoft:
- HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME
- HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows NT 4.0
- HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 2000
- HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Server 2003
Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry
Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from executing at startup.
If the registry entries below are not found, the malware may not have executed as of detection. If so, proceed to the succeeding solution set.
- Open Registry Editor. Click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- In the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
Ciodiag = "%System%\DECCONF.EXE"
(Note: %System% is the Windows system folder, which is usually C:\Windows\System on Windows 98 and ME, C:\WINNT\System32 on Windows NT and 2000, and C:\Windows\System32 on Windows XP and Server 2003.)
Restoring Modified Entry in the Registry
- Still in Registry Editor, in the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate the entry:
AppInit_DLLs = "diagd3d.dll statd3d.dll"
- Right-click on this entry and choose Modify. Change the value of this entry to:
AppInit_DLLs = ""
- Close Registry Editor.
Important Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions
Users running Windows ME and XP must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of infected computers.
Users running other Windows versions can proceed with the succeeding solution set(s).
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
If you are currently running in safe mode, please restart your computer normally before performing the following solution.
Scan your computer with Trend Micro antivirus and delete files detected as
TROJ_STRAT.EL. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest virus pattern file and scan their computer. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, the Trend Micro online virus scanner.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.