Identifying the Malware Program
To remove this malware, first identify the malware program.
- Scan your system with your Trend Micro antivirus product.
- NOTE all files detected as TROJ_LOWZONES.BW.
Trend Micro customers need to download the latest pattern file before scanning their system. Other users can use Housecall, Trend Micro's online virus scanner.
Terminating the Malware Program
This procedure terminates the running malware process. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.
- Open Windows Task Manager.
� On Windows 95, 98, and ME, press
� On Windows NT, 2000, and XP, press
CTRL%20SHIFT%20ESC, then click the Processes tab.
- In the list of running programs*, locate the malware file(s) detected earlier.
- Select one of the detected files, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
- Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
- To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
- Close Task Manager.
On systems running Windows 95, 98, and ME, Windows Task Manager may not
show certain processes. You can use a third party process viewer such as Process Explorer
to terminate the malware process. Otherwise, continue with the next procedure, noting additional instructions.
Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry
Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from executing at startup.
- Open Registry Editor. Click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- In the left panel, double-click the following:
- In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
REGRUN= %Malware path and file name%
(Note: %Malware path & file name% is the complete path of the malware, including the root directory, and the malware's detected file name.)
- Close Registry Editor.
If you were not
able to terminate the malware process as described in the previous procedure, restart your system.
Increasing Security of the Internet Zone
- Open Internet Options. Click
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options
- In the Internet properties window, click the Security tab and select the Internet zone.
- Click the Custom Level button.
- On the provided menu, select the security settings according to security preference or company policy. The following are some of the suggested values:
- Download signed ActiveX Controls = Prompt
- Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls = Disable
- Initialize script and ActiveX marked as Safe = Disable
- Initialize script and ActiveX not marked as Safe = Disable
- Click OK and close the Internet properties window.
Additional Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions
Users running Windows ME and XP must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of infected systems.
Users running other Windows versions can proceed with the succeeding procedure set(s).
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
Scan your system with Trend Micro antivirus and delete files detected as
TROJ_LOWZONES.BW. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest pattern file and scan their system. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, Trend Micro's online virus scanner.
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.