Trend Micro achieves over 100,000 M Yen in global annual revenue for 2008.
Tokyo, Japan – February 17, 2009 – Trend Micro Incorporated (TSE: 4704), a global leader in Internet content security, announced earnings results for the fourth quarter and consolidated revenue for fiscal year 2008, ending December 31, 2008.
For the fourth quarter, Trend Micro posted consolidated net sales of 24,030 million Yen (or US $250 million, 96.06 JPY = 1USD). The company posted operating income of 7,330 million Yen (or US $76 million) and net income of 4,854 million Yen (or US $50 million) for the quarter. These figures reflect an 8 percent decrease in net sales compared to the same period a year ago.
For 2008, Trend Micro posted consolidated net sales of 101,707 million Yen (or U.S. $985 million, 103.25JPY=1USD), representing an annual growth rate of 2 percent. The company also reported operating income of 31,803 million Yen (or U.S. $308 million) and net income of 19,247 million Yen (or U.S. $186 million). Revenues from products and services sold to enterprise, mid-sized and small business customers worldwide comprised 70 percent of 2008 revenues; revenue from consumer products comprised the remaining 30 percent.
Sales in the fourth quarter were led by Japan, which experienced a 6 percent growth in sales. Latin America sales fell 28 percent; Asia Pacific sales fell 27 percent; European sales fell 24 percent; and North American sales fell 2 percent.
“In 2008, we made Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network the industry standard for content security,” said Eva Chen, CEO. “This coming year, we will continue to further that vision by unveiling more Smart Protection Network-powered products, solutions and proof that our cloud-client architecture is the smartest way to deal with data-stealing malware. Web threats are now more complex and fast-paced than ever so we want to challenge our prospects and customers to ‘Think Again’ about their security implementation, and to understand how Trend Micro Smart Protection Network can help them combat the silent threats inside a corporate or home network.”
Based on information currently available to the company, consolidated net sales for the first quarter ending March 31, 2009 is expected to be 22,500 million Yen (or US $250 million, based on an exchange rate of 90 JPY = 1USD). Operating income and net income are expected to be 5,200 million Yen (or US $57 million) and 3,200 million Yen (or US $35 million), respectively.
Growth rate figures are calculated from Japanese Yen results. Some discrepancy may therefore be noted in US Dollar comparisons owing to fluctuations in currency conversion rates.
New products Trend Micro introduced during Q4 2008 include the following:
Trend Micro was awarded the following patents in Q4 2008:
New customers for Q4 2008:
In EMEA – JSC “Russian Railways,” KONE, Picanol, RDC Datacenter, SAB Miller, Telefonica O2 Czech Republik, a.s., Telekomunikacja Polska S.A., Vesuvius.
In NABU – Allegheny County, AT&T, Nationwide Children’s Hospital of Columbus, Select Medical Corporation, Sunrise Medical, Inc..
Certain statements that we make in this release are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based upon management’s current assumptions and beliefs in light of the information currently available to it, but involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Many important factors could cause our actual results to differ materially from those expressed in our forward-looking statements. These factors include:
We assume no obligation to update any forward-looking statements. For more details regarding risk factors relating to our future performance, please refer to our filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Trend Micro Incorporated (TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ cloud security infrastructure, our industry-leading cloud-computing security technology, products and services stop threats where they emerge, on the Internet, and are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.