By Jennifer Burns
“I’ll have my phone…”
“Call my mobile.”
“Shoot me a text.”
“I sent you a picture message!”
These are a few phrases you never would have used a few years ago. Also, then you wouldn’t have considered putting security on your phone because, well, it was a phone. But with today’s smartphones, it seems the last thing you use it for is to make a call.
With online banking, texting, apps, games, social networks, geo-updates, email logins, passwords and the like, actually calling someone is a rarity; yet all these other features open you up to online threats. That’s the thing, you’re mobile but you’re also still so conveniently “connected” and vulnerable.
Alright, so some would look at my slider phone—no judgement!—and say it’s slightly ancient. And that isn’t because there is only scotch tape holding it together… “Wow, it’s so 2009, do you even have polyphonic ring tones yet?”
So, to appease the technophiles, and my colleague and fellow Fearless Webber, Richard Medugno (who once yelled “Get with the world, Jen Burns!”), I decided to get a little more familiar with the latest and greatest Android™ smartphone.
What better way to get informed than to download our very own security software to it? Let me just tell you, so far, I’m pretty impressed. I can block calls and texts, and I have the ability to locate my precious device if I happen to leave it at BJ’s Brewhouse during a work lunch (I’m not mentioning any names…But Scott Carter should be more attentive!)
Okay, here are the deets:
- On your Android phone, open the app store and search for Trend Micro
- Select Trend Micro™ Mobile Security Personal Edition
- You can read the features and tidbits if you please
- Select Download
- A screen appears with app-specific permissions and asks if you want to Accept and Download
- The app will download and you will see two options: you can select Open or Uninstall
- And of course you would select Open
If you have downloaded Titanium, you can log in with your Trend Micro account. If not, you have the option to create an account.
Once you enter your account information and accept the license agreement, the app will display four options:
App Scanner –This is a free scanner that ensures all apps you download are safe.
Surf, Call, Text Security allows you to set options to filter those contacts out that you don’t really care to hear from or sites you want to stay away from
- Safe Surfing
- Parental Controls
- Call Blocking
Text blocking gives you the option to block texts from certain people.
Lost Device Protection gives you the options to find, lock, or erase content on your device if you lose it or someone else snags it. Here you will find Find My Android and SIM Card lock
If you scroll to options, you can
- Locate – tracks the missing device from GPS
- Scream – allows you to remotely sound an alarm once it has connected to a wireless network
- Lock – Will block all access to your device
- Wipe – allows you to delete all information on your device from a remote location
- SIM – this feature locks the SIM card in your phone so if anyone attempts to use it
Here’s where you go if you lose your device and want to track it down or activate some other option:
Extend Your Protection
With Trend Micro™ Titanium™ Maximum Security , if you want to extend the subscription to your mobile device, simply select Extend Protection and Use Activation Key. This activation key came with your product and can be found either in the box, in your order confirmation email or in your security console.
I work for Trend Micro and all opinions expressed here are my own.