Tokyo, Japan – November 4, 2008 – Trend Micro Incorporated (TSE: 4704), a global leader in Internet content security, announced earnings results for the third quarter 2008.
Trend Micro posted consolidated net sales of 25,968 million Yen (or US $241 million, 107.58 JPY = 1USD). The company posted operating income of 7,582 million Yen (or US $ 70 million) and net income of 5,861 million Yen (or US $ 54 million) for the quarter. These figures reflect a 3 percent growth in net sales compared to the same period a year ago.
Sales revenues were led by a 10 percent sales revenue increase in North America despite a strong yen. This was followed by a 4 percent sales revenue increase in Europe. In Japan and Latin America, sales increased by 1 percent, respectively. In the Asia Pacific regions, sales decreased by 7 percent.
“This quarter, we launched smarter and safer 2009 versions of our consumer suites, maximized for protection and optimized for performance, once again building upon the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network in order to offer our consumers true online freedom,” said Eva Chen, CEO. “As we approach our 20th Anniversary during a time of global economic uncertainty, I am proud that Trend Micro continues to have a clear and consistent strategy and solid business model.”
Based on information currently available to the company, consolidated net sales for the third quarter ending September 30, 2008 is expected to be 24,400 million Yen (or US $271 million, based on an exchange rate of 90 JPY = 1USD). Operating income and net income are expected to be 7,400 million Yen (or US $ 82 million) and 4,800 million Yen (or US $53 million), respectively.
Growth rate figures are calculated from Japanese Yen results. Some discrepancy may therefore be noted in U.S. Dollar comparisons owing to fluctuations in currency conversion rates.
Third Quarter Business Highlights
- In September, Trend Micro launched 2009 consumer security suites: Trend Micro Internet Security and Trend Micro Internet Security Pro. The products were well received by the media and garnered high review ratings by top technology publications (see “Product Awards and Recognition.”).
- Also introduced in September was the Trend Micro Communication & Collaboration Security, which offers immediate email, instant messaging and collaboration systems protection for enterprises.
- In July, Eva Chen was once again invited to participate at the Fortune Brainstorm conference where she spoke on Digital Dangers: Playing Defense in a Virtual Universe. This was the second time in a row where she was invited to speak at a Fortune conference.
- Trend Micro was ranked among Software Magazine’s 26th Annual Software 500 ranking of the world's largest software and services companies.
- Trend Micro was named Top Global Brand in Taiwan for 2008.
- Trend Micro was named to the 2008 Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the fifth consecutive year.
- Trend Micro was ranked No.8 in the Combined Score Ranking of the 2008 Nikkei Excellent Company Ranking, which evaluates companies in the Tokyo Exchange Market.
- Trend Micro was recognized by a leading Swedish IT organization and awarded second place for The Diamonds award in the “IT company who delivers the best security solutions 2008” category.
New customers in the third quarter include:
In APAC - Parliament of Thailand
In EMEA – Arboned, ENTEGA Service GmbH, Nexans, Policja Polska, Siemens AG, Swisscom, Wurth Group.
In NABU – PaperlinX
In CHINA – China CITIC Bank, China Telecom, Ministry of Finance People’s Republic of China, Postal Savings Bank of China, SIN O CHEM Corporation.
Product Awards and Recognition
- PC Magazine gave Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 an editor’s rating of 4 out of 5 stars, “Very Good.”
- PC Pro gave Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 2009 four out of six stars in its product review.
- CNET Editor’s Review gave Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 a “Very Good” review, stating “Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 is light and fast, and includes parental controls, home networking monitoring, and free telephone technical support.”
- A leading consumer testing magazine placed Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 second place among all other security products tested.
- PC Monthly Actuel (EMEA) selected Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 to be 1 out of 4 “editors’ choice” products.
- SC Magazine gave OfficeScan Client Edition an overall rating of 4 out of 5 starts; and a performance rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
- Personal Computer World (EMEA) gave a positive review of Worry-Free Business Security 5.0, giving it 3 out of 5 starts. The magazine stated that “Worry-Free Business Security from Trend Micro is designed to take the worry out of protecting a small business network.”
- Data News, Computable.nl. and Channelweb.nl (EMEA) all gave positive reviews of Worry-Free Business Security 5.0 for the solution’s user friendliness, good performance and reasonable price.
- Trend Micro won top awards in Everything Channel's 2008 VARBusiness Annual Report Card for the Network Security Software and Client Security Software categories
- Trend Micro was nominated as Security Vendor of the Year by Computer Reseller News.
- Trend Micro placed 7th out of 20 in Everything Channel’s Sept. 2008 “Top 20 Most Strategic Security Vendors” study
- Trend Micro ScanMail™ for Microsoft Exchange™ Named 'Best Of Tech•Ed 2008 IT Pro Awards Winner' by Windows IT Pro And SQL Server Magazines.
During the third quarter, Trend Micro was awarded the following patents:
- Patent No. 7398553, “Scripting Virus Scan Engine”
- Patent No. 7401122, “Techniques For Providing Add-On Services For An Email System”
- Patent No. 7406454, “Configurable Hierarchical Content Filtering System”
- Patent No. 7426574, “Technique for Intercepting Data in a Peer-to-Peer Network”
Notice Regarding Forward-looking Statements
Certain statements that we make in this release are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based upon management’s current assumptions and beliefs in light of the information currently available to it, but involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Many important factors could cause our actual results to differ materially from those expressed in our forward-looking statements. These factors include:
- Difficulties in addressing new virus and other computer security problems
- Timing of new product introductions and lack of market acceptance for our new products
- The level of continuing demand for, and timing of sales of, our existing products
- Rapid technological change within the antivirus software industry
- Changes in customer needs for antivirus software
- Existing products and new product introductions by our competitors and the pricing of those products
- Declining prices for products and services
- The effect of future acquisitions on our financial condition and results of operations
- The effect of adverse economic trends on our principal markets
- The effect of foreign exchange fluctuations on our results of operations
* An increase in the incidence of product returns
- The potential lack of attractive investment targets and
- Difficulties in successfully executing our investment strategy
We assume no obligation to update any forward-looking statements. For more details regarding risk factors relating to our future performance, please refer to our IR site: http://us.trendmicro.com/us/about/financeinfo/index.html
About Trend Micro:
Trend Micro Incorporated (TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ cloud security infrastructure, our industry-leading cloud-computing security technology, products and services stop threats where they emerge, on the Internet, and are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.