Note: To fully remove all associated malware, perform the clean solutions for the following:
Resetting Internet Explorer Home Page and Search Page
This procedure restores the Internet Explorer home page and search page to the default settings.
- Close all Internet Explorer windows.
- Open Control Panel. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel.
- Double-click the Internet Options icon.
- In the Internet Properties window, click the Programs tab.
- Click the Reset Web Settings… button.
- Select Also reset my home page. Click Yes.
- Click OK.
Changing the Signature of Microsoft Outlook Express
This procedure restores the signature of Microsoft Outlook Express.
- Open Microsoft Outlook Express.
- Click on Tools>Options. Click on the Signature Tab.
- If the file chosen in the File text box below is equal to "s.htm" or some other undesired file, delete the entry in the textbox.
- Click OK.
Important Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions
Users running Windows ME and XP must disable System Restore to allow full scanning of infected computers.
Users running other Windows versions can proceed with the succeeding solution set(s).
Running Trend Micro Antivirus
If you are currently running in safe mode, please restart your computer normally before performing the following solution.
Scan your computer with Trend Micro antivirus and delete files detected as
JAVA_BYTEVER.A. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest virus pattern file and scan their computer. Other Internet users can use HouseCall, the Trend Micro online virus scanner.
Applying a Patch
This malware exploits a known vulnerability in Windows. Download and install the fix patch supplied by Microsoft. Refrain from using this product until the appropriate patch has been installed. Trend Micro advises users to download critical patches upon release by vendors.
Note: To users who want to download Sun JVM, please proceed to the following Web page:
Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions for your
small and medium business,
or home PC.